(The Hague 1867 – Amsterdam 1932)
Paris, 1921 (Les Chevaux de Marly)
Signed and titled on label on the back of the frame
Crayon on paper, 33.7 x 25.7 cm
Gemeente Musea van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Eere tentoonstelling M.A.J. Bauer, 11 March – 6 April 1933, No. 59
Marius Bauer resided in Paris from 1920 up to 1921 where he had many friends in artistic circles. He sketched the life of the city and the surroundings. The fine sculpture depicted here is one of Les Chevaux de Marly which were ordered by Louis XV in 1739 and were erected in 1794 on the Place de la Concorde. Due to their fragility these where replaced in 1984 by replicas and the original sculptures can now be admired in the Louvre.