(The Hague 1817 – 1891)
Church visitors during mass in the cathedral of Trier
Signed with initials l.l.
Oil on panel, 19 x 15 cm
The Cathedral of Trier is the oldest episcopal church of Germany. This cathedral traces its origins to a Roman basilica, which was built from 326 AD onward, ordered by the Roman emperor Constantine the Great. In the eleventh century the cathedral was given its present west façade, which was constructed in a Salian building style. A large sized painting depicting the cathedral is in the collection of the Rijksmuseum Twenthe in Enschede (inv. No. 0393), better known under the name of ‘de Grote Trier’ (the Large Trier).