(Poerworedjo 1858 – The Hague 1928)
Design for a church window for the Saint Aloysius chapel in the Saint Bavo church, Haarlem
Signed, dated 1906 and annotated St. Aloysiuskapel N. St. Bavo l.m.
Pencil and crayon on paper, 23.6 x 9 cm
The Sint Bavo basilica is a roman-catholic church in Haarlem that functions as a cathedral for the diocese of Haarlem-Amsterdam. The construction started in 1895 and was completed 1930. The building was designed by Jos TH.J. Cuypers who enriched the Gothic concept with elements of other origins. He took note of modern developments and incorporated these in the realistaion of his idea: a modern cathedral. Various elements from non-European building traditions are incorporated in the design, particularly Byzantine and Islamic elements. The architects intention presumably was to emphasise the Christian message as one surpassing the European cultural tradition. Some of the best Catholic artists of the period contributed to the interior, such as Mari Andriessen, the silversmith family Brom, the painter and glazier Han Bijvoet, but also Jan Toorop. The exuberant use of applied arts in the building has resulted in a gesamtkunstwerk.