Hendrikus van de Sande Bakhuyzen
(The Hague 1795 – 1860)
Grazing cattle near the ruins of Brederode Castle
Signed lower center
Oil on panel, 36.1 x 43.3 cm
The ruins of Brederode are the remnants of Brederode Castle near Santpoort-Zuid, which was the former seat of the noble family Van Brederode who played a major role in the Kennemerland region. The name Brederode refers to Brede Roede; the forest where the castle was built in the second half of the 13th century. The Van Brederodes were descendants of the Lords of Teylingen, who were relatives of the Counts of Holland. The castle formed part of the Hoge Heerlijkheid Brederode (fiefdom of Brederode), which was granted by a loan from the Count of Holland to the Lords of Brederode in the thirteenth century. After the death of the last Lord in 1679 the castle reverted to the Counts of Holland. Due to its historical value, the ruins of Brederode were one of the first buildings to be restored with the help of government grants. It is the first national heritage site in the Netherlands.