Hendrik Pieter Koekkoek
(Hilversum 1843 – Amsterdam 1927)
Ruin of the castle of Brederode
Signed and dated 3 Aug 1899 l.l.
Oil on canvas, 34.3 x 45.8 cm
The Ruin of Brederode are the remnants of Castle Brederode near Santpoort-Zuid, the former residence of the noble van Brederode family who played a mayor role in the region of Kennemerland. The name Brederode refers to Brede Roede, the patch of woodland where the castle was built. Circa 1300 the family had the square castle built. Van Brederode was a descendent of the lords van Teylingen, family of the Counts of Holland. The castle formed part of the ‘Hoge Heerlijkheid Brederode’, given in loan to the lords of Brederode in the thirteenth century by the Count of Holland. After the death of the last lord in 1679 the castle reverted to the Counts of Holland. The Ruin of Brederode was one of the first buildings to be restored with government funds, due to its historical significance. It became the very first National Heritage Site.