George Hendrik Breitner
(Rotterdam 1857 – Amsterdam 1923)
Signed and dated 97 l.r
Oil on panel, 61.5 x 73.3 cm
– Kunsthandel Kleykamp, The Hague
– Collection Goeman Borgesius-Blommen, The Netherlands
– Collection A.C. van Ommen van Guylik, Laren
– Private collection, The Netherlands
– N.H.W. (Nathan Wolf), Breitner-Tentoonstelling: Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam in De Kunst; algemeen geïllustreerd en artistiek weekblad, vol. 25, No. 1307, 02-07-1933, page 250, (ill.)
– Rijksmuseum & Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, (Historische tentoonstelling van de stad Amsterdam) ‘Eeretentoonstelling van werken van G.H. Breitner als grootmeester der Amsterdamsche School’, 1925, cat. No. 3260
– Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels, Exposition Breitner, January – February 1932, cat. No. 126
– Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam, Breitner: Ingericht door de Gemeente Amsterdam, 10 June – 1 August 1933, No. 137, illustration 36
– On the reverse also a label of the ‘Gemeente Musea van Amsterdam’ with No.110
This painting likely depicts a view of the piling work on the Van Diemenstraat, which was constructed in Amsterdam at the end of the 19th century. After the Noordzeekanaal was completed, streets with warehouses were built on the banks of the canal, and also the city centre was extended. Breitner recorded many of these projects on photographs, which he subsequently developed on canvas. He held a fascination for the changing city. To Breitner the construction sites were the place where the transformation of his beloved Amsterdam were most evident: a dynamic representation of the modern city.
Registered with the RKD – Netherlands Institute for Art history in The Hague under number 105885.