A fine Chinese Cizhou-type painted girl-form pillow
Song dynasty (960-1279)
Shaped as a reclining girl, painted in russet and black on a white slib ground, with delicately modelled facial features, her dress decorated with scattered flowers, the head support decorated with bamboo.
W. 36 cm
– Private collection, Japan
– Dries Blitz, Amsterdam (Tefaf, 2011) (with label)
– Collection Drs. Koos de Jong, Amsterdam
– [exhib.cat.] Song Ceramics from the Kwan Collection, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong 1994, no. 162, p. 361
– [exhib.cat.] Chinese Ceramic Pillows. The Mr. & Mrs. Yeung Wing Tak Gift, Museum of the Western Han Tomb of the Nanyue King, Guangzhou 1993, no. 126
The most remarkable feature of this pillow is the realistic representation of the girl’s flowered silk jacket.