229. A Cassina Taliesin dining set by Frank Lloyd Wright
A Cassina Taliesin dining set by Frank Lloyd Wright
Designed in 1925 by Frank Lloyd Wright, manufactured by Cassina, Italy, comprising eight cherrywood Taliesin Barrel chairs with curved and pierced back, brown leather upholstery with a Taliesin cherrywood table with rectangular top on two rests with vertical bars and joined by stretchers, all pieces marked with Cassina stamp, serial no. (table: 01599, chairs: 16430, 16580, 16721, 16759, 16821, 16897, 17648, 17518) and signature Frank Lloyd Wright.
H. 71.6 x W. 250.1 x D. 69.8 (table)
H. 80.7 cm (chairs)
Taliesin was the estate of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright and located south of the village of Spring Green, Wisconsin, United States. The 600-acre (240 ha) property was developed on land that originally belonged to Wright’s maternal family and is sometimes referred to as Taliesin East, Taliesin Spring Green or Taliesin North after 1937.
Two years after Wright left his first wife and home in Oak Park, Illinois with a mistress, he designed the Taliesin structure. The original building represented the principles of the Prairie School, emulating the flatness of the plains and the natural limestone outcroppings of Wisconsin’s Driftless Area. The structure (which included an agricultural and studio wing) was completed in 1911.
Wright rebuilt the Taliesin residential wing in 1914 after it was destroyed by a fire. This second version was used only sparingly by Wright as he worked on projects abroad. One of these projects was the design of the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, from which he returned in 1922. In April 1925 a fire caused by electrical problems destroyed the living quarters. The third version of the living quarters was constructed by Wright in late 1925. This set of chairs with matching dining table in this lot was designed for these new living quarters.